The arrival of sound in the Thirties, led to the development of numerous cinemas in Bergamo, a few of which remained open until recently, at least up until the arrival of the multiscreens.
In this section of the exhibition you will be able to view short films made by the “Cine Club Bergamo”, amongst which there are a few made by Domenico Lucchetti.
The Bergamo Cine Club was founded on 3rd November 1952, during a meeting at the Chamber of Commerce: Tito Spini was voted Chairman, whilst Fredy Legler became the honorary Chair.
Throughout the Fifties and Sixties, the Bergamo Cine Club was extremely active and prolific. Its participation between 1956 and 1970 in the national Montecatini competition, with a significant number of short film entries, resulted in numerous prizes and plaudits for filmmakers from Bergamo. In 1961, specifically because of its dynamic film production activity, Bergamo was selected to host the “Convegno di studio sul cinema d’amatore” (Conference for the study of amateur cinema) – three days of comparisons, disagreements, debate, ideas, proposals about the use of the term “Amateur filmmaker”. As a result, the Cronache bergamasche (Bergamo chronicles) came into being whereby: between 1955 and 1960 moments in city life were captured on film on behalf of the Municipality of Bergamo and under the patronage of the Sindaco Costantino Simoncini.
A tribute from Pier Antonio Leidi to Domenico Lucchetti concludes the programme offered in the screening room.